Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Worm Has Turned

Ever since I've known her (8 years), my mother-in-law would not discuss politics with me or my husband, no matter how much he would try to goad or tease her.

I know she really liked the first President Bush and Barbara. I know she's a Republican. Other than that, she would only discuss issues which she knew I'd be fairly certain to agree on. She prefers a happy family.

Imagine my surprise when she said, on our recent visit, "Should we sit at the table and discuss politics?"

So I, my husband, my mother-in-law, and her father, sat at the table and discussed how much we really dislike the corrupt eldest son of one of her favorite presidents and his rotten Administration.

She gave him the benefit of the doubt and kept her mouth shut for five years, but the Iraq fiasco, from beginning to present, has degraded him to such a degree that she will sit at a table with her liberal children and trash the Pres.

And her father, too, who is a WWII vet, Marines 3rd Division, the first on the beaches at Iwo Jima, Wake Island, Midway, Guadalcanal, and Bougainville. Of course, if he were to ever go public with his opinion with some group, the wingers wouldn't let a little thing like his overt patriotism and sacrifice (he never got back home for a visit from before Pearl Harbor, 1941, until September, 1945) stop them from trashing him and questioning the quality of his service. After all, he made it through all those conflicts and all that time (end of 1942 to VJ day) without getting wounded, except psychologically. I call that extreme luck; wingers call that not trying very hard.

Anti-winger rant digression aside (and my in-laws are obviously not wingers), if that isn't a strong grassroots sign that the worm has turned for this corrupt Administration, I don't know what would be.

Yes I do...if my own winger parents, immersed for years in rightwing propaganda, were to turn. I'll have to try harder.

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next