Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ref C & D Push Polls

Today I experienced my first ever push poll, and it was sort of fun. I don't know what kind of morons are swayed by such things, but apparently they work. The complete rundown is at Soapblox Colorado, here and here.

It's a recorded poll, and the male questioner has quite a snide attitude. For instance, he asks self-righteously, "Are you like me, and are upset the some judges in California said it was illegal to say the Pledge of Allegiance in classrooms?" I purposely answered everything the opposite of what I was being pushed to answer, and was told at the end the poll was paid for by Americans for Tax Reform.

Soapblox Colorado contacted the Ref C&D campaign, who were aware of the push poll, and had this to say

What's a push poll? It's the opposite of a real poll. Where a real poll is designed to measure public opinion, a push poll is designed to sway public opinion.

In this push poll, unsuspecting Coloradans answer their phones and hear a pre-recorded message asking if they plan to vote for Referenda C and D, which will [insert all the lies the opposition is spreading about C&D]. If the voter answers 'yes,' he hears a recorded message from Grover Norquist, founder of ATR, trashing C&D.


Now I wish I had answered the way they wanted, so I could hear the BS.

[edited to add linkies]

Update: Soapblox Colorado traces Grover Norquist's cancerous tentacles as they spread through several states using (571) 522-1180 to infect the tender pink brain cells of unsuspecting voters. Don't be caught unawares.

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next