Monday, November 21, 2005

Serene Slaughter

My email at theygetletters@hotmail.com is up and running again. I only got three emails in the time that it was down, and one of them was about a book detailing the early 20th century massacre of striking miners at the Columbine coal mine in Serene, Colorado, from co-editor/author Richard Myers.

I didn't know anything about it, as I'm not a native, but I'm always interested in learning of the history of my adopted state, so that, like the history of my native state California, I can forget it all over the next 15 years.

There will be a book signing with the authors (Richard Myers, Professor Eric Margolis, and historians Joanna Sampson and Phil Goodstein) as well as surviving strikers.

Saturday, December 3 at the Mercury Cafe, 2199 California in Denver, from 5:30 to 7 pm.


The book also claims a positive review by Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States, which was the text of my first history class in college, and the first time I enjoyed reading about history outside of a historical romance novel.

And for the commie symps who heart the worker (or those who heart a museum) there was a link to Bread and Roses, an organization that has opened a museum in Denver to celebrate the culture of the working class
Practically, we want to be a magnet for working class art and cultural forms that embody a feeling of solidarity, and a mirror that helps working folks feel good about themselves and their work.

The museum's at 2641 River Drive (above P&L Printing, 2298 Clay Street just north of Mile High Stadium in Denver).

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next