Sunday, July 16, 2006

Armageddon It On

Following the developments in the ME as sparsely as I am, trying to imagine how it could possibly play out, I can't help but seeing in my mind the final scenes in Wargames in Cheyenne Mountain while the computer tries to figure out a way to win. The outcome is always the same, and it's a lose.

I really don't mean to make light of the situation. The movie seems quaint now, but recalling how I felt watching the movie in the 80s, it was a frightening scene.

Status quo in the ME was scary and awful enough. The unknown is even moreso, and the articles maha excerpts don't help matters much. Given the foreign policy paralysis and marginalization of the Bush Administration, and the potential overreaching of Israel ... what if Israel loses? Or what if it wins by resorting to nuclear strikes?

And I'm not asking the extremes of either side. I know what their reactions would be in each situation.

Is the most we can hope for a return to the previous status quo? That seems unacceptable as well.

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next