Thursday, July 27, 2006

Breastfeeding Outrage


What is this continued outrage over breastfeeding? And it's women who apparently got outraged over this magazine cover. When I look at it I have fond memories of breastfeeding my first son (I try to block out the unpleasant memories, and am sad I couldn't breastfeed my second). Why are women squeamish about other women breastfeeding in public?

Here are some of the comments the magazine received in protest:
"I was SHOCKED to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," [a member of the itty bitty titty committee] wrote. "I immediately turned the magazine face down," wrote another. "Gross," said a third.

Says another advocate of private breastfeeding, "I just think it's one of those moments that should stay between a mother and her child."

Considering that a baby has to eat every few hours, what this opponent of public breastfeeding is saying is that mothers should always stay home. It would be great if there were a private, clean room for breastfeeding or pumping everywhere you go. But there isn't. How much does anyone see, anyway? Most women try to be discreet and do it under a blanket. Unless you're making a concerted effort to see it, you won't.

But the real reason many women are squeamish about other women breastfeeding in public:

"I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."

There is no such thing as a breast your husband or son doesn't want to see. What she means is that she doesn't want her husband or son seeing it.

Just how insecure and uptight do you have to be to not want the men in your life to see a woman breastfeeding her child?

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next