Thursday, August 03, 2006

Boys Feel the Power

At dinner, my six-year-old was telling us about how people have outlines, a thin layer all around your body, and if it gets erased, all your color runs out. He learned this from Ed, Edd, & Eddy.

I asked him if everything he sees in cartoons is true. First he said yes, then acknowledged that not everything in cartoons is true. When I told my husband that the toddler fell asleep in front of the TV for his nap today (Spongebob DVD), I lamented, "TV is raising our children."

The six-year-old then said that he was born because he wanted to come out and watch cartoons. Then he said, channeling He-man, "I knew I was a boy because I felt the power!"

But Ben doesn't really spend that much time watching TV. He mostly prefers to run around outside with this friends. On a good day, there are 6 - 8 boys running around the cul-de-sac, and a few girls, and no falling or crying happens. The boy he plays with most across the street, however, has a TV in the garage, so they often sit on lawn chairs and watch racing, cartoons, movies, or monster truck rallies.

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next