Thursday, September 07, 2006

Letter to ABC RE: "D'ohdrama 9/11"

Robert A. IgerPresident and CEO, The Walt Disney Company

Dear Mr. Iger:

I understand ABC has received many complaints about the accuracy of Cyrus Nowsrateh's "docudrama," "The Path to 9/11."
By now your company should be well-versed in its glaring and unfair inaccuracies, so I won't repeat them here.


Claims of "creative license" and "for dramatic effect" are sorry excuses when there is no evidence to support even the possibility of some of the inaccurate scenes.

I request that you take the lead from Scholastic, which has dropped the high school companion guide, and refuse to air the grossly misleading docudrama.

I would appreciate a prompt reply to my e-mail.


I considered adding a part that said: "Imagine the uproar had the film "Tora, Tora, Tora" included a scene showing FDR's foreknowledge of the attack on Pearl Harbor when there were only rumors and conspiracy theories to back it up." But I looked up that conspiracy theory, and it looks like it may have been true. Of course, that doesn't change the point about not making things up out of whole cloth for a "docudrama" that purports to be based on facts.

Form letter via ThinkProgress, though I only kept the last line. Now ThinkProgress is urging us to contact the chairman of Disney, Senate Majority leader George Mitchell, and Lucid Analysis, in comments, has a whole long list of Disney board members with contact information.

I had commented at ColoradoLib that I didn't think local ABC affiliates could refuse to air network programming, but my husband tells me that affiliates can make the argument that whatever is being aired is contrary to local public mores or interests, such as when ABC affiliates refused to air Saving Private Ryan because of indecency. The network can require the affiliates to "make good" (re-air during different shows) the national commercials that got covered over. Stations can lose their affiliation if they do it too much. So click on CL's link and call Channel 7.

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next