Monday, November 13, 2006

Accents

Just got back from a long weekend. Politics and I were incommunicado, so I've got no comments about that.

But how does this GoToQuiz know I'm from the West based on so few words? In what region does someone pronounce "bag" and "vague" the same? (via World Wide Rant)


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
Boston
North Central
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The South
The Northeast
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes



I did find it weird that people in the major cities of the south, even native-born, just as often talked a lot like me, a Californian.

I have lost a great deal of that accent, though. My voice doesn't go up at the ends of sentences so much anymore; my "R's" aren't quite so hard and in the back of my throat; I don't do the guttural stops in the midst of words so hard (such as in "wa' everrrrr; now it's more wudever). I generally only say "like" when I'm describing something. And I don't talk quite so fast. As I recall, San Francisco has some of the fastest speakers around, whole sentences being contracted into long words, sort of like the Germans do. For instance, I still say Sa'Fra'cisco very fast.

Over the weekend we watched the "Dog Whisperer" visit a Nebraska farm. The farmer had a very countrified accent, and I thought his daughter sounded like she could have been from California (not so much the coast of California, though). It's very interesting seeing what I call the California accent spreading across the country.

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next