Friday, December 01, 2006

Kim Chee - Jiminy Christmas, I Hate It

I just tried some tonight. How do you spell the sound of a barf?

I didn't actually barf, or even gag, but I got to a point where my mouth could no longer chew and swallowing was right out.

There are apparently hundreds of different types of Kim Chee, but I got the one that tastes like rancid seaweed. There was a platter of actual seaweed next to the Kim Chee, which was was like a beautiful summer day at the beach. The Kim Chee was like someone bottled the sea, drove it inland 50 miles in their trunk, then left it in the shed for a couple of days. And then served it to me for dinner.
Kimchi has been cited by Health Magazine as one of the world's five "healthiest foods," with the claim that it is rich in vitamins, aids digestion, and may even prevent cancer.[1] The health properties of kimchi are due to a variety of factors. Kimchi is usually made with cabbage, onions, and garlic, all of which have well-known health benefits. Kimchi also has active and beneficial bacterial cultures, like yogurt. Lastly, kimchi contains liberal quantities of hot pepper, which has been suggested to have health benefits as well.

Yesterday I made beef soup with cabbage and spinach. Tasty. I cook with onions, and have them raw as well, nearly every day. And don't get me started on garlic. Lightly sauteed or raw in a homemade salsa, yummmm. I could choke down yogurt when I need to (I only like yogurt when I'm pregnant, which won't be happening again.) My husband's been helping me build my tolerance for progressively hotter peppers for years. All healthy with the added benefit of also tasting good.

Why does the world need Kim Chee?

Labels: ,

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next